Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) Bus Refueling Facility
Player and Company was selected to provide design/build services for a compressed natural gas (CNG) bus refueling site at a new Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority (MARTA) bus facility. The installation was the first of its kind in Georgia.
The Player team was responsible for the design and construction of a facility to house a fully automated system consisting of naural gas engine-powered compressors, high pressure gas storage, process gas dryers, and miscellaneous items.
Station capabilities include
- System inlet pressure 150-180 psig
- Dryer 5500 scfm @ 160 psig
- Compressors (Total of three):
- Nominal capacity 3300 scfm or 24 diesel equivalent gallons
- Maximum capacity 3720 scfm or 27 diesel equivalent gallons
- Storage 69,900 scf @ 5000 psig or 510 diesel equivalent gallons
- Bus dispensers:
- Capacity 2500 scfm each or 18 diesel equivalent gallons
- Fill pressure 3600 psig (fully compensated)
- Support dispenser:
- Capacity 500 scfm or 4.5 DEG
- Fill pressure 300 psig
The photograph shows the main compressor and dryer area.
The dispensers (not shown) are some several hundred feet remote to the compressor storage building.
All work was done in strict compliance with applicable local and federal codes and ANSI/NFPA 52. All high pressure gas piping was subjected to hydrostatic testing at 8250 psig. All butt-welds were radiographed to ANSI B31.3 standards.